Become a member
Businesses can get started on the pathway to improvement by first becoming a UEBT member. We are open to any organisation committed to sourcing with respect. There are two categories of UEBT membership: trading and affiliate. Trading members are companies involved in the collection, processing or harvesting of natural materials from biodiversity.
Trading members adhere to the UEBT membership conditions and we verify their good practice.
Affiliate members are NGOs or other like-minded groups that share UEBT's vision and work to support and promote our mission and the principles inside the Ethical BioTrade Standard.
Become a Trading Member
The starting point for any company is a formal commitment to UEBT membership conditions and obligations. Once this commitment is made, the company follows a three-step pathway to become a Trading Member.
1. Complete and submit an application
- Registration fee must be paid
- UEBT verifies eligibility
- Email us to request an application form.
2. Pass an external assessment
- Assessment covers the company’s ethical sourcing system
- Assessment performed by UEBT or a qualified external certification body
- UEBT can offer alternative solutions to fit the needs of companies
3. Submit a workplan
- Workplan must focus on improving the ethical sourcing system
- Workplan must be approved by UEBT or the certification body
- Upon approval of the workplan, the company must pay an annual membership fee
Membership fees are paid annually and are calculated based on the total annual revenue of the member organisation.
Minimum annual fees: € 500
Maximum annual fees: € 30,000
*Note: 50% of the membership fee is paid with the initial application (registration fee)
Become an Affiliate Member
This starting point involves submitting an application form and agreeing to the following:
1. Commitment to UEBT’s vision, mission and the Ethical BioTrade Standard
2. Commitment to actively promote ethical sourcing practices in the organisation’s work
3. Payment of an annual membership fee