How to become a UEBT Trading Member ?
Trading members refers to actors that are directly involved in the supply chain of BioTrade goods and services (e.g. producer/collector organisations, processing companies, traders, manufacturing companies brands).
When applying for membership at UEBT the prospective member must agree to the following conditions:
Stages towards trading membership
1. Prospective Trading Members are required to submit an application form to the UEBT Secretariat. By doing so, the applicant commits to UEBT’s membership conditions and obligations. The application form will be reviewed by UEBT’s Membership Committee, which will check if the applicant is eligible for membership.
2. After approval, the eligible applicant is given the ‘Approved Candidate’ status and needs to pay a registration fee.
3. Within 6 months of being granted the status of ‘Approved Candidate’, the applicant must undergo an independent third party audit by one of the Certification Bodies qualified by UEBT to
assess compliance with the minimum requirements for membership and to provide a gap analysis outlining the issues that need to be addressed to achieve full compliance with the Ethical BioTrade Standard.
4. After the audit confirms that the ‘Approved Candidate’ meets the minimum requirements for membership, he will be granted the ‘Provisional Member’ status.
5. The ‘Provisional Member’ is then required to prepare a work-plan that leads the organisation towards compliance with the UEBT Standard. The work-plan needs to be approved by the qualified Certification Body. The ‘Provisional Member’ will submit to the UEBT Secretariat the full and public audit report, and the approved work-plan that will be evaluated by UEBT's Membership Committee and Board of Directors.
6. After approval of the documents the ‘Trading Member’ status is granted.
Trading members pay an annual 'Membership fee' based on their turnover of the previous financial year. Membership fees are charged from the moment the organisation becomes a 'Provisional member'.
The first year of membership is charged pro rata to the number of months of membership in the calendar year. Subsequent membership fees are due in the first quarter of the calendar year.
The minimum fees for a Trading Member are € 500 per year.
When applying for membership an additional 'Registration fee' is charged. Registration fees are calculated as 50% of the Membership fees. Registration fees are charged when the Membership application is approved by the Membership committee.